Monday, July 19, 2010

Priest Lake


Whew. Won't do that again. And by "that" I mean flying half way across country with two toddlers. It is mostly a blur at this point. I do recall Claire throwing raisins about the cabin and screaming "I stuck!" while I was trying to confine her to my lap. And on the way home our plane out of Spokane being delayed and Iain having to run up and down the airport (and I mean at a clip...not just jogging) with the twins in their stroller to keep them from completely coming unglued. And waking up at 4:00 a.m. to get there, and getting home at 1:00 a.m. coming back.

But oh, the best part? The very best part? Is when we all started puking. At our peak, there were 15 adults at the lake with us. And most of us fell like little soldiers. Duncan was the first...with his blue bubble gum ice cream...on the beach. I was sure he had just had too much junk food and too little sleep. Kids puke alot, right? So I got him inside, and put him in one of the beds to sleep it off. Meanwhile, my sister in law fell victim upstairs. I still did not put two and two together. All of the rest of us felt fine! It was so weird how Duncan and Frankie both go sick! Then...in the middle of the night...I heard my sister. And I knew. I will not get sick, I will not get sick, I will not get sick. I kept praying it over and over and over again. Oh and Iain? Was downstairs in the bed with Duncan. The next morning came, and I slowly felt it coming on until it hit me, then quickly my mom. Then Iain. As we all lay flat on our backs in misery, I passed off all our children to my 19 year-old niece, and my thirty-something niece and her husband. My oldest brother also got sick at some point.

By the end of the day, I was feeling like I could function. My sister in law was as well, but not my mom, my sister or Iain. Is this TMI? Long story short(er) we all recovered but man...it sucked. There is no other way to put it.

Other thoughts about our vacation?

  • The Michies will no longer fly for vacation. Until our children are old enough to go to the bathroom on their own, and be trusted to sit in a seat and entertain themselves.
  • I was smart and insightful enough not to bring any reading materials on this trip.
  • Cool, dark, basement storage rooms make better rooms for babies to sleep in that light, airy beach house bedrooms.
  • 5 year old boys can probably get by for at least 10 days with one pair of underwear.
  • I had no idea my 84 year old mother watched The Bachelorette.
  • Self-important business man in coach, giving me the hairy eyeball because of my kids? You aren't that important.
  • I need good coffee. Every day.
  • Campfires on the beach, in a sweatshirt and shorts, in the summertime, are one of life's greatest pleasures. Even more so with your kids.
  • Coming home is always the best part.

~Christie

1 comment:

  1. Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that everyone got sick. This reminds me of our trip to Colorado with Kevin's family pre-kids. Everyone had the tummy bug except for Kevin and I. My poor SIL had it on the plane the whole way back to Dallas. I agree, coming home is the best! :)

    ReplyDelete