Sunday, November 25, 2012

Whew

 

IMG_5752

I really love Thanksgiving.  And while I am convinced I cannot host it until I can send Duncan to the store, meaning 9 more years, I love the holiday.  Having little ones brings its own joys like little Indian/Native American head bands and handprint turkeys.  But it is also pretty exhausting.  Not as exhausting as two 2 year olds, though, so I’m grateful it was two 4 year olds and a 7 year old this year.  My contribution to the meal was a pumpkin pound cake that I found on Pinterest.  Loved the cake but did NOT like the glaze….too gummy and flavorless.  Just a straight-forward powdered sugar/water glaze would be fine.  See my cake below.

IMG_5751

Oh yes, that big chunk taken out?  Well, I am sure that needs to explanation to any of my regular readers…all three of you.  I tried to gussy it up a bit with some fall sprinkles that I had.  It was delish (minus the glaze that everyone picked off.) 

We went to my sister’s and mom’s for the day, along with various aunts, uncles, cousins and such.  We ate, watched football and talked.  Not any more or any less great than any other year, really. 

Until that night when Finn started yacking…then it kind of went downhill.  We were supposed to have other family over on Friday for dinner, but that changed…I said no kids and it turned into lunch with grown ups instead.  Kids got to see Grandpa who now lives in Michigan, and the weather was great.

DSC_0020

Saturday is a bit of a blur…I’m having a hard time thinking about what we did as I sit here.  Oh yes, Duncan had a birthday party so that was a nice way to break up the day.  Again…perfect weather.  About 70 degrees and sunny.  I must admit, I am grateful to live in Dallas when we have these days that the kids can so easily be outside.  We took them to the playground across the street before dinner, did baths, fed them, and put everyone to bed.  Then I went to bed because I felt like I’d been hit by a truck.

Today I have mostly felt like I’ve been hit by a less huge truck, and we’ve gotten the tree up and lights on the outside.  I have a lot to do but I love looking at the tree at night.  It just makes me happy.  Everyone goes back to school tomorrow and that is a very good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment