Tuesday, March 02, 2010

By the end of the day, all the witty thoughts and clever quips that I think of during the day are almost completely gone. I will be in a strange place and think to myself, "oh, I should blog about this" and even write the entry in my head and think, "that will be so funny and get me some comments." Yeah well.

By the end of the day, I am usually in full blown mee-maw mode. Mind? Empty. Back? Hurting. I get everyone to sleep and walk back into the living room...the sanctity of a now child-free room, get on my couch (and tonight, with a heating pad!), make a cup of hot tea and zone out to American Idol or Survivor. All day I think to myself, "I will get that done tonight, after the kids are asleep." Then, I get them all to sleep and I feel triumphant just to get the dishes loaded in the dishwasher. Much less, make the next day's lunch(es) or organize all my coupons. I will work on this.

Today was not really a bad day, just kind of wild. Claire and Finn are entering full-blown toddlerhood and their antics are becoming more and more dangerous and funny. One toddler is daunting. Two is...well...unspeakably daunting at times. Today, somehow, Claire got the dryer open, crawled inside and was licking my new Bounce dryer bar, when Finn was about 2 seconds from slamming the door shut on her. I tell you this because it did not end poorly, but oh...I know all too well it could have. Note to self to start using dryer baby proof latch thingie again. And pulling her out of that dryer? Was as if I was taking away all of her Easter candy. Girl was not happy with me.

Finn is like a bulldozer. He runs everywhere he goes and often will just slam into things. He is also a sensitive baby, so I guess that makes him a little sensitive bulldozer (might be a good idea for a children's book!). He does this crazy thing now when he bows with his hands on his knees when he laughs. It's hysterical. But I digress. Anyhoo....I had boxed up some things, in preparation for getting the house ready to sell, and had left the sealed up boxes by the back door. Claire and Finn saw the opportunity and seized it. They pushed the boxes up to my "desk" (and I use the term loosely), and began pounding on my keyboard. It was about five minutes before I realized it and came back to all kinds of new screen savers and files being pulled up onto my desktop. Again, much weeping and wailing when I pulled them off the box. They egg each other on. They seem to plot and plan. They smash each other's fingers in cabinets. That old game of slam the kitchen cabinet door against each other? Does not end well for one of them, 9 times out of 10.

So now, I will go make myself another cup of tea and finish American Idol.

~Christie

1 comment:

  1. oh to fast forward 15 years and see Claire, and Sugar Bear together in the youth group. They sound SO much alike.... We'll be MeMaws together.

    ReplyDelete