Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Pickle sandwich, cut into triangles, with the crusts cut off

We are trying to get Duncan to sleep later. Because, it makes for a very long day when you have a kid ready to go at 6:30 a.m. We are going to put a clock in his room and tell him he has to stay in his room, quietly, until 7:00. I am hopeful, but realistic. Quiet for Duncan and quiet for me are two different things, and his room is right next to ours. We will see. What I really want is for him to stay in his bed all night. He rarely comes in our bed anymore but when he does (it's a queen) he simply cannot stay still. He rubs my ears, plays with my hair, and has early onset restless leg syndrome. It is not much better when I am in his bed with him, but have realized that I do have more room in his twin than I do in half of our queen. Sad, but true. I will let you know how we do. Of course, I realize that kindergarten is looming and I will have to have him up, dressed, and fed and out the door at some unGodly hour. The irony is not lost on me.

So, today we had a birthday party at Pump It Up. He has been primed and ready for this party for weeks. When will I learn not to tell him so far in advance? Part of me wants to tell him to make him happy! He will be excited! But then it always backfires on me and I get a million questions for every minute of every day we live and breathe until the party. But finally the party came today. He was so fired up in the parking lot we had to do our breathing exercises. Made it inside, and finally into the big room with the bounce houses and I really did not see him for an hour and a half. And lots of my favorite mommy friends were there! This, however, was all tainted by the fact that I had Claire and Finn with me. They are at the delightful age where they no longer are content in their stroller and instead want to be free! To roam on dirty floors! And through open doors to nowhere! The party ended, I left a trail of Baby Goldfish, Duncan was pumped full of sugar and friendship, and we headed off to Duncanville so he could spend the night with his beloved Aunt Becky. She is taking him to his first real movie, The Princess and The Frog. I'm anxious to hear how he does! He is not one to sit still for long periods of time.

Claire and Finn have hardly napped all day, and what naps they did get were in their car seats. I am hoping they go to bed early and sleep late. Ha! But for now, they are climbing on the storage tubs full of Christmas decorations and Claire is teetering near the edge, trying to reach the key in the back door. I must go.

No comments:

Post a Comment